Hot tamale pie, does not have to be difficult to prepare. This recipe uses super easy ingredients. Yet gives you a well balanced meal to put on your families dinner table.
All you need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get yourself a deep pie dish, oil it liberally. And begin to assemble your ingredients.
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen thawed corn
- 1/4 cup or more of red or sweet onion
- 1/4 cup of diced red sweet pepper
- One 4 oz can of diced hot green chilies
- 3 tbsp. capers
- 8 oz. crumbled tofu
- 1/4 cup of cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. gluten free all purpose flour, or rice flour
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. natural raw sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- Fresh salsa for garnish on serving plates
- 1/4 cup of vegan cheese if following a vegan diet ( or regular cheese)
In a large bowl combine the corn, onion, chilies, and capers and set aside.
In a food processor, or blender combine the remaining ingredients except the cheese and salsa. Process until smooth. Fold the vegetable mixture into the above mixture to combine the two.
Transfer to the pie plate and smooth out the top.
Grate cheese on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top. Let rest 5 mintues and cut into wedges. Serve topped with salsa or serve salsa and taco chips on the side on the dinner plates. ENJOY!
Just today while rebuilding this page I decided to make the Hot Tamale Pie once again but this time swap the hot chilies for red curry paste ( about 1 1/2 tbsp or more to taste) very interesting and great flavour as well.