This is a delicious and nourishing energy bar snack which is perfect for any occasion and especially for children’s lunch boxes for a healthy and filling treat at school. The slice takes all of 15 minutes to whip up and you can get the kids involved in making it too…
Feel free once you have made the slice, to experiment with adding different recipe ingredients. I have at times substituted the pecans for walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts or dried fruits depending on family requests. If you don’t like rolled oats, you can add extra shredded coconut instead. The great thing about this recipe is it’s a very forgiving recipe:)
Coconut And Banana Energy Bars Ingredients:
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup GF flour, buckwheat or soy flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup pecans
- chopped 3/4 cup sultanas
Preheat oven to medium heat. Line a 22cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add the sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla. Use a hand-mixer or whisk to combine until smooth.
Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, oats and coconut and stir until just combined. Fold in pecans and sultanas.
Pour the mixture into the prepared lined baking pan and spread evenly.Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top puffs and turns golden brown.