The benefits of coconut oil are truly astonishing!
I too was quite surprised while researching for this article on coconut oil. I knew it was healthy for us, as my husband and I had been using it for the past few years. But I honestly didn’t know just HOW healthy it was for us, until I dug a little deeper into it’s uses.
This rich coconut oil is extracted from mature coconuts that have fallen to the ground. At this point they are split in half and the interior white flesh is shredded in preparation for it’s use. These flakes are then pressed at 90 degrees Fahrenheit and the oil is extracted and filtered. David Wolfe of www.sunfood.com recently went on a trip to The Fiji Islands and met up with a coconut master himself. He learned a tremendous amount of information about this wonderful fruit and I used some of his words to explain this next paragraph.
“Unlike crooked, clogging, cholesterol soaked, saturated, animal fats found in meats and dairy products, coconut oil is is a raw saturated fat containing mostly medium chain fatty acids which the body can metabolize efficiently and convert to energy quickly. This oil has NO cholesterol and does not elevate bad LDL cholesterol levels. By weight this healthy oil has less calories then any other fat source.” By David Wolfe
The Benefits Of Coconut Oil
- Support and aids the immune system
- Helps prevent against disease causing bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi and parasites
- Improves digestion
- Improves calcium and magnetism absorption for the development of healthy bones and teeth
- Assists in your child’s diaper rash
- Can be easily absorbed and utilized by those having trouble digesting fats and who have gallbladder disease
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose and enzymes systems on the body
- Provides quick energy
- Supports thyroid function
Coconut oil makes skin soft and smooth
( I can attest that my skin has NEVER been healthier!)
My theory is if you can eat it then it’s definitely safe to put on your skin and be absorbed into your blood stream
- Reduces the need for essential fatty acid
- Helps you look and feel younger
- Great for hair care as a conditioner
- Is heart healthy, does not increase blood cholesterol or platelet stickiness
- Does not create free radicals like other vegetable oils and is stable under cooking temperatures
It has been a main staple in diets for hundreds and hundreds of years in the tropical regions of the world. I know we started using it for sautéing a few years back and now use it in pretty much all our raw dessert dishes to firm them up and give them amazing flavors.
Plus it’s become my “new” moisturizer. I know from personal experience that I have never felt better then I do right now in my life. I would encourage everyone to make the switch over to this healthy oil so you to can learn the benefits of coconut oil for yourself, and experience the flavour it gives to all your dishes. I bet you will be hooked just like we are!