Did you know walking is one of the easiest and cost effective ways to exercise, burn fat, tone legs, calves and glutes, feel good, shift a low mood, make new friends, explore your neighborhood and stay healthy to boot?
Research by the Harvard Medical School is pointing out just how good your daily walk can be and these 10 reasons why walking is an easy activity you’ll love will inspire you to throw on your comfiest and best walking shoes to stride out.
1).. These Shoes Were Made For Walking…
Anxiety and depression can affect your life on every level, decreasing life enjoyment and turning everyday situations into areas of turmoil.
The good news is you can release feel good endorphins with a brisk 30 to 45 minute walk a few times per week which can actually decrease anxiety and depression.
Although the link between exercise and relieving anxiety depression isn’t entirely clear, walking helps to:
- Increased body temperature which has a calming effect
- releases feel good brain chemicals-stimulates the neurotransmitters, endocannabinoids and endorphins which all work to ease depression
- walking helps to reduce the immune system chemicals which can worsen anxiety and depression.
The psychological and emotional benefits of walking are:
- You are distracted, as exercise is a distraction which takes you away from the cycle of negative thoughts.
- Walking gives you the opportunity to meet and socialize with others. Sometimes just a friendly smile can boost your mood enormously.
- This positive activity is a healthy coping strategy and helps you cope in a healthy way that drinking alcohol or smoking simply doesn’t.
- You can boost your self confidence and self-esteem by improving your appearance and meeting those exercise goals and challenges. It doesn’t matter if they are small to begin with. You can always work up to half marathon 🙂
2).. Live Your Life For Longer.
Women who are proactive in their self care by walking on a few times per week, experience a decreased chance of suffering life altering illnesses.
- Walking strengthens your heart and reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke. It’s one of the best Cardio exercises and its free. The Stroke Association says a daily 30 minute brisk walk helps to control high blood pressure, as well as lowering LDL levels.
- The risk of type 2 diabetes can be reduced by around 60% and you are very much less likely to develop breast, colon or womb cancer by staying active.
- Walking works brilliantly to tone up tummies, legs and bottoms. If you want to get great definition on your glutes, calves, quads and hamstrings make sure to throw some uphill walking into the mix, as it is even more effective than walking on flat ground.
- With increasing concern that the decreasing levels of vitamin D are affecting important areas such as our immune systems and bone health, walking is a great way to get outside more.
- Did you know the simple act of walking gives you energy? It’s one of the best natural energizers available and its free! Try walking during your lunch break to boost your circulation and increase the vital supplies of oxygen to every cell in your body. The upside-you’ll feel more alert and live:)
3).. Walking To Lose Weight
Walking is the cheapest, most cost effective and fun way to lose weight and tone up. Did you know that if you walked at 2 mph for 30 minutes you can burn around 75 calories?
Even better, if you walk at 3 mph, you’ll burn off 99 calories.
Or at a faster pace of 4 mph, you’ll burn off 150 calories.
The University of Virginia found women who did 3 fast paced, shorter walks per week, plus 2 longer more moderately paced walks lost 5 times more belly fat than those that walked at a moderate pace. If you power walk, you can drop weight and inches from your body in a few weeks with regular commitment
You can always walk on your own, or if you are a social woman, start a women’s walking group for added fun. Enjoy a well deserved coffee afterwards. It goes without saying, have a second thought about enjoying that inviting slice of cake…
4).. Stop The Mid-Day Tiredness
How do you combat the dreaded mid-afternoon energy slump when all you feel like doing is, well, sleeping …
We have all encountered the mid-afternoon energy slump where your mind becomes cotton wool and you just can’t stop yawning!
Instead of reaching for a cup of coffee and a chocolate bar, there are a few things that you can do:
- Definitely avoid sugary foods. they only work for a short time.
- Make sure you eat breakfast.
- Make sure you stay hydrated right throughout the day.
- Always make time to eat lunch with protein rich foods, including some carbs which will help to boost blood sugar levels, helping you feel more alert and able to concentrate.
- Of course, a 10 minute brisk walk around the block or two during the lunch break will get your circulation going, boost the oxygen supply to your cells and improve your mood.
5).. Stay Fit And Strong
Physical strength actually doesn’t need to decrease as you age. Despite hearing we lose physical strength as we get older, it’s simply not true if we make the time to keep up regular exercise. An added benefit is working in a little strength training while you’re walking and it’s easy to do.
Some of the benefits of adding strength training into your walking routine are:
- Increased bone density
- Stimulates the metabolism
- Encourages improved balance, strength and flexibility
- Tones and shapes muscles, especially if you use hand-held weights
6).. Relax Your Mind and Body With Nature is Healing Powers
“According to a 2009 study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, the closer you live to nature, the healthier you’re likely to be”
Interestingly the study found that those who live near a lot of green space were much happier and healthier than those who didn’t. But, what is it that makes being outdoors so relaxing? For starters, sunlight is a natural source of vitamin D which is proven to help well-being on all levels.
It also gives us a break from technology and our busy, fast-paced lifestyles which we are all so accustomed to these days….We can turn off and be focused in the moment on the shapes, patterns and textures of beautiful, brightly colored flowers, the rich green of leafy trees, the brilliant, heart lifting blue of the broad sky and the gentle, nourishing warmth of the Sun which helps to set our bodies internal clocks for everyday function.
Nature is awe inspiring when we take time to slow down and absorb her qualities. Think about how you feel as you watch that glowing red sunset over the mountain ridge, as you walk along the sandy white beach, a trickling stream threading its way down the rocks and even the sound of the wind signs through the trees all help to keep us relaxed and calmer.
7).. Bring Out Your Inner Siren
Walking out in our natural world offers an instant wellness, strength and flexibility boost. Regular brisk sessions help to make your body smoother and more streamlined, which in turn makes you feel more femininely confident within yourself.
A sexy, well toned butt, great legs, as well as a defined waist helps you ground your internal feminine side securely. We all love wearing gorgeous fitted clothes especially in the summer months and let’s face it every woman loves feeling amazing!
In the rush to be wonder women, keep up with everything and multitask, we often forget to be women and enjoy those aspects which make us intensely feminine. Lets celebrate our uniqueness:)
Interestingly, there is quite a strong body of evidence showing strong gluteus maximus strength and endurance are related to a lessened degree of lower back pain…..A strong woman is a sexy woman
Happiness is infectious. In fact, it is contagious. If you are wanted to be a people magnet, be happy. Happy people know how to create and nurture their own happiness and share it. By spending time with these people, you’ll soon see the world differently.
Being with someone who laughs a lot is an instant emotional boost as you allow yourself to be pulled into the good humour.
Happy people are positive people and our pleasure to be around a don’t complain. You can literally feel your spirits lifting around someone who is willing to see the good things in life. Yes we all face challenges, it’s how we choose to deal with them that makes the difference.
By choosing a short daily walk and focusing on positive aspects of life and being grateful for the little things is very powerful. Let your Happiness shine out and shine on
9).. Make New Friends…
Meet and make new friends by chance when you get out and walk. You never know.. An inspiring new friendship may open up new directions and possibilities that you never dreamed would be possible.
A new friend may help you discover new directions in life, help you pause and rethink a situation from a different angle, you get to share your ideas and vice versa, and you may make a whole new friendship group which can be incredibly enriching and uplifting all from taking that daily walk….
I think coincidences are one of the most exciting aspects of life. That chance meeting can change our lives forever and if you take the time to be open and welcoming, the coincidence of making new friends by being brave enough to smile and say hello, well, I guess we will have a story to tell….
10)… Live from Your Heart
And last, but not least have fun and live your life as a heart centered Life with Love, Compassion and Trust. Throw on those comfortable and colorful walking shoes, head out the door and enjoy all the benefits walking can bring you.
Being outdoors in all kinds of weather helps us appreciate our wonderful world and slow down…